[RC5] After RC5-64?

Michael michael at reedsweb.net
Mon Sep 13 19:06:20 EDT 1999

Hi,

I just thought I'd offer my thoughts on what we do next...

At the end of day 1 of distributed.net's challenge on RC5-64, it was
calculated that it would take 1,235 years to complete. Two years
later, that is down to less than 5 years. The time to completion is
dropping all the time.

With the availability of new chips such as the faster P3s (600 and so
on), Coppermines, K7s and Merceds, it is almost a given that this
thing will fall within a year. Of course, there are the few hundred
million Net users we could tie on....

Personally, I'm quite looking forward to CSC...a change from a lengthy
task is always a good thing, and to complete another project renews
the spirit and gives a lease of new life to a project, example: the
increase in numbers after both of the DES contests, thus shortening
the life of RC5 even more.

Mooooo!

Mike

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net