[RC5] RC5 client for Dreamcast :-) ?

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 14:56:27 EDT 1999

On Tue, Sep 21 1999, Richard Lee King Jr. wrote:

> it seems to me that since we know part of the secret message that we should
> be able to deduce most of the secret key directly. in other words create an
> engine that is fed the secret message and the known clear text with its
> position
> and get a key template out the other end. i think this is how touring
> cracked
> enigma in world war 2. that would eliminate 90% of the key search that we
> would have to do. i read the des specs and it seems this would be ideal for
> it. i imagine rc5-64 is just a longer version of des.

Nice idea, but:

The _whole_ key is used to encrypt each character in RC5, so we can't use the small amount of known text to deduce part of the key.

There is no relationship between DES and RC5 - they're completely different algorithms.

--
David Cantrell, Senior Developer, Wirestation

http://www.wirestation.co.uk

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net