[RC5] Status of the Win32GUI and distributed.net

Jim C. Nasby jim at nasby.net
Fri Sep 24 12:33:14 EDT 1999

Before anyone else starts going ape about this, I want to point out that the
GUI clients will continue to function for the foreseeable future. Just because
we're dropping support for them doesn't mean that we're going to start
ignoring blocks from them.

Also, a little tidbit for you open source zealots out there: Once we've got
the API defined for how to talk to the base client, you should be able to
create your own GUI's till the cow's come home, so to speak.

Just to short-cut the potential stream of 'make the whole client open!' emails,
there is one major security problem that still hasn't been addressed: how do
we ensure that someone running an open source client can't modify it so that
it informs them of a potential winning key instead of us? Anyone runing such
a modified client would easily be able to claim the $10k for themselves,
leaving us and our charity out in the cold.

Moo!
dB!