[RC5] Windows client and pause while running defrag

Edwin ten Brink edwin at cam061311.student.utwente.nl
Wed Dec 27 21:29:02 EST 2000

When running defrag under Windows, the client pauses so defrag would not have to restart that many times.
Unfortunately, I'm using Norton Speed Disk, so I guess it doesn't recognise it (I think, but it doesn't
matter to the point I'm trying to make).

The client pauses because disk access causes the optimization programs to restart.

Wouldn't it be possible to solve both of these problems by adding a client configuration option to specify
the executable to check for (instead of default defrag.exe), and to suspend only disk access (logging?,
checkpointing), except for buffer access and thus keep on working?

The loss of checkpointing will not make any difference: if the computer crashes during the optimization
process, work will be lost which otherwise would not be done. Logging may be some problem, but that might
be kept in memory and written upon inevitable disk access due to the fact that buffers need to be read and
written. If you want no disk access at all, you could also switch to random blocks for example. There are
many possibilities to recover the time spent in defragmenting.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,

Edwin

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net