[RC5] "hiding" the client (W32)

Dominic Hargreaves dominic.hargreaves at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Wed Dec 6 11:24:26 EST 2000

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Chris Hessmann wrote:

> Hello list,
>

> I'm looking for a way of hiding the client on Windows NT machines.
> The best way I know is to install as a service and rename it.
>
> The only problem is, I'm still able to see the name "dnetc.exe" in the
> tasklist. Is there any way to rename this name?
> Renaming the exe is not the right way, because the task-name is still
> dnetc.exe. :(

Apologies if I've got the wrong idea, but I can't see any legitimate
reason to hide the process in this way. The client can be installed in a
way completely transparent to the user in NT, but to obscure it to this
extend would imply that you are not authorized to run the client on these
systems. distributed.net has a strict policy on this matter; see
http://www.distributed.net/legal/policy.html.

Cheers,

--
Dominic Hargreaves | http://dom.magd.ox.ac.uk
07976 569915 | You can get my PGP key from my website.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net