[RC5] "hiding" the client (W32)

Chris Hessmann news at hessmann.de
Wed Dec 6 12:43:10 EST 2000

Hello Dominic,

> Apologies if I've got the wrong idea, but I can't see any legitimate
> reason to hide the process in this way. The client can be installed in a
> way completely transparent to the user in NT, but to obscure it to this
> extend would imply that you are not authorized to run the client on these
> systems. distributed.net has a strict policy on this matter; see
> http://www.distributed.net/legal/policy.html.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that.

I know about that fact, and I am not going to violate this policy.

The fact is, I'm talking about a machine, which is owned by me and a
friend. Because of some stupid reasons, he likes to antagonize me and
stops the services every time he founds it.
Well, the "rename the service"-trick does work for some time, but now
he found the taskmgr, and I do not have any clue how to prevent him
from stopping this.

Everything would be fine if I could rename the task to System Idle
Process or something similar! ;)

It's just a small war between to nerds, nothing special, no violation
of d.nets policies... ;)

--
  cu Chris

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net