[RC5] "hiding" the client (W32)

jbugden at alis.com jbugden at alis.com
Wed Dec 6 10:17:35 EST 2000

The best way to hide the client would be to remove it's work from the %
Processor Time counter (The green line in Task Manager) so that the system
does not look busy.

The appearance of CPU saturation does not accurately reflect the state of
the system since the dnetc client runs at Idle priority and is not noticed
by the user.

What it does do however is prevent someone from using the Task Manager CPU
meter in the System Tray to indicate the "real" level of CPU activity and it
also confuses some applications that use the % Processor Time value to delay
their start until the system is less busy.

I can see both of these conditions as reasons that your friend could remove
dnetc. It prevents dnetc from running on several systems here because it
interferes with regular work methods.

John