[RC5] "hiding" the client (W32)

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Dec 8 02:01:16 EST 2000

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 04:59:29PM +0000, Arne Heizmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > i wrote my own dos client using djgpp in pure c. i am curious how to
> > > hide it in windows 98 se. i just want to run it without the dos window
> > > and no task bar symbol. its okay if it shows up in the task list or
> > > goofs up the cpu monitor. thanks.
> > Then make a win32 client instead of a DOS one!
>
> On my machine, the official DOS client is a lot faster than the official
> Windows client, even when run under Windows and when the system is very
> busy. I suppose he has similar reasons to want to make it a DOS one.

 Probably because the Windoze schedule can't schedule DOS processes right.
I would guess it is getting a bigger chunk of the CPU time.  If you see this
difference when the system is not heavily used, then it would be
interesting (in terms of dnet.  The fact that windoze can't schedule DOS
progs very well should be interesting to anyone who likes the command line.
When I was forced to used windoze at work last summer, I found that setting
up emacs so the M-x shell  function ran bash (from cygwin) in an emacs
window got me a (very good!) shell with not 16bit code.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net