[RC5] "hiding" the client (W32)

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Dec 9 18:06:27 EST 2000

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 12:53:42PM +0000, Arne Heizmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > On my machine, the official DOS client is a lot faster than the official
> > > Windows client, even when run under Windows and when the system is very
> > > busy. I suppose he has similar reasons to want to make it a DOS one.
> >
> >  Probably because the Windoze schedule can't schedule DOS processes right.
> > I would guess it is getting a bigger chunk of the CPU time.  If you see this
> > difference when the system is not heavily used, then it would be
> > interesting
>
> Yes, that's what I meant - the DOS client is unter Windows faster than the
> Windows client, whether the machine is used or not. The Windows client
> gives me about 350 to 400 kkeys/sec when the computer is busy, and 450 to
> 500 when it's not. The DOS client in a Window gives me around 500 to
> 550kkeys/sec. When run in pure DOS, I get 634.2 kkeys/sec constant.

 You probably already took care of this, but you didn't mention it.  Are
there any background processes started by windoze, like system tray stuff?
How fast is it when windoze is running in safe mode, so presumably no other
stuff will have been started?

 Also, can anyone else confirm this?

--
#define X(x,y) x##y