[RC5] Windows client and pause while running defrag

Brent Stone bstone at kudonet.com
Wed Dec 27 13:20:07 EST 2000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:29:02 +0100 (CET), Edwin ten Brink <edwin at cam061311.student.utwente.nl> wrote:

>When running defrag under Windows, the client pauses so defrag would not have to restart that many times.
>Unfortunately, I'm using Norton Speed Disk, so I guess it doesn't recognise it (I think, but it doesn't
>matter to the point I'm trying to make).
>
>The client pauses because disk access causes the optimization programs to restart.
>
>Wouldn't it be possible to solve both of these problems by adding a client configuration option to specify
>the executable to check for (instead of default defrag.exe), and to suspend only disk access (logging?,
>checkpointing), except for buffer access and thus keep on working?
>
>The loss of checkpointing will not make any difference: if the computer crashes during the optimization
>process, work will be lost which otherwise would not be done. Logging may be some problem, but that might
>be kept in memory and written upon inevitable disk access due to the fact that buffers need to be read and
>written. If you want no disk access at all, you could also switch to random blocks for example. There are
>many possibilities to recover the time spent in defragmenting.
>
>Just some thoughts.
>
>Regards,
>
>Edwin

Wonderful idea.  Although I believe the "pause if running" option
allows the client to be paused while an arbitrary program is
running and it can be set to the Norton Speed Disk program.

I would love to see an option to stop writing to disk on running
defrag.  I do video editing on my system and have 150 Gigs of disk
on raid drives for most of my stuff, plus one 4 Gig SCSI drive that
I use only for windoze swap and distributed net buffers/checkpoint/
etc.  Obviously, my defrags take forever (I let them run overnight),
and when I was using windows defrag, the client would stop the
whole time.

Since then, I've gone to using Norton, and just skip defragging
the "G" drive, or defrag it manually after stopping the client.

  - Brent

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net