[RC5] Unnecessary fragmentation due to dialup mode

Edwin ten Brink edwin at cam061311.student.utwente.nl
Wed Dec 27 21:22:35 EST 2000

Fragmentation of the keyspace seems to be extremely common when using a dialup detection mode or a frequent
update mode, since the client will request smaller blocks to keep his buffers almost exactly at at the 'ideal
level'. Once fragmented, it's nearly impossible to regain a larger packet size, so you'll be stuck with lots
of packets with 1, 2 or 3 work units.

If this behavior is intended, then that's okay with me, but if it's not: why shouldn't we try to avoid
unnessary defragmentation of the keyspace and let the client determine a minimum packet size to request,
just like there's an algorithm to determine the ideal buffer size? If the ideal buffer size is, say, 24
units, why not request 8 work units, regardless of the fact if there are 16 or 23 units in the buffers?

Just a thought. Especially since the FAQ indicates a move towards larger packets to reduce overall workload
and bandwith. (Refer to "Packets take too long to complete on my computer. They should be smaller!" at the
FAQ-o-Matic.)

Regards,

Edwin

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net