[RC5] Windows client and pause while running defrag

Arne Heizmann ajh65 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 27 23:09:07 EST 2000

> Wouldn't it be possible to solve both of these problems by adding a
> client configuration option to specify the executable to check for
> (instead of default defrag.exe), and to suspend only disk access
> (logging?, checkpointing), except for buffer access and thus keep on
> working?

Dnetc will still have to access the memory frequently, and so does defrag.
I'm afraid there isn't much dnetc can do to stop Windows from swapping,
unless you have a real lot of memory for Windows to waste. I have seen
machines which had so little memory that defrag would never get past 10%
because it always had to swap. Fortunately Norton SpeedDisk exists.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net