[RC5] Windows client and pause while running defrag

Brent Stone bstone at kudonet.com
Wed Dec 27 22:35:05 EST 2000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 23:09:07 +0000 (GMT), Arne Heizmann <ajh65 at hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>> Wouldn't it be possible to solve both of these problems by adding a
>> client configuration option to specify the executable to check for
>> (instead of default defrag.exe), and to suspend only disk access
>> (logging?, checkpointing), except for buffer access and thus keep on
>> working?
>
>Dnetc will still have to access the memory frequently, and so does defrag.
>I'm afraid there isn't much dnetc can do to stop Windows from swapping,
>unless you have a real lot of memory for Windows to waste. I have seen
>machines which had so little memory that defrag would never get past 10%
>because it always had to swap. Fortunately Norton SpeedDisk exists.

Swapping isn't a problem ... I have 256 megs on the system.  It swaps
when I'm running big video edits while using photoshop, an audio editor
and maybe an animation generator at the same time.  My "G" disk is mainly
for swapping, I just put the distributed net stuff there so I could
continue to run dnet while defragging the rest of the system.

If total memory usage of the dnet client and a defragger causes any
system to swap, you've got way too little memory on the system to
do anything useful.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net