[RC5] Adverse effects of participation? - Yeah right...

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Feb 1 00:06:22 EST 2000

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 06:38:51PM -0500, Zypher wrote:
> True idling cuts the current to parts of the cpu, not running zeros. This is
> how those stupid 'software coolers' like waterfall and cpuidle work.

 I'm curious:  are you saying that Windoze doesn't run hlt instructions in
it's idle loop?  Linux does :)  Sorry to be so anti-micros~1, but at least
we're talking about facts this time, not opinions.  Hehe, what I want to
figure out is how to get linux to run dnetc in its idle loop instead of just
scheduling it at low priority.  Then it might be able to give up _all_ the
CPU time to procs that wanted it.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/