[RC5] Adverse effects of NON participation!

Jason Hartzell jhartzell at myrealbox.com
Tue Feb 1 18:25:12 EST 2000

Wow, you work with the government... I would have never
guessed. I like that odd rationalization though. I think I
will try to pass it off on my supervisors and a couple of
clients, see if I can get them to put the cow in their
ghost image, under the guise that I am saving their
computers. It's just crazy enough that they might buy it.
Hell, I'm sitting in a room right now that could probably
churn out about 2500 blocks a day if it were put to cow use.

Jason

> Has anyone bothered to look at the additional stress on
the CPU that is not
> running the client? As an example, consider a server that
usually sits idle
> but periodically gets a burst of work. The CPU on this
server is going to
> be cool while idle between jobs then quickly heats up
when a job starts and
> cools down again when the job is done. Differential
temperature changes
> during these heating and cooling cycles are going to
create thermal
> stresses on the chip. These stresses can cause minor
flaws in the chip to
> expand until a critical circuit is broken and the CPU
fails.

> By running the client the CPU is always busy so the
thermal variations will