[RC5] New Ranking System

Ryan Malayter rmalayter at bai.org
Tue Feb 1 04:14:22 EST 2000

Unfortunately, many users out there connect directly to d.net's servers through proxys, or they run the clients on machines with DCHP. So you can't track # of machines by IP address. Since so many people dial still into the internet via modem, a network card's MAC address cannot be used either to uniquely identify a machine.

Also, you can't track # of machines by inserting a unique ID in the .ini file, since a good number of people (like me) use a network shared copy of the executable and .ini file.

How, exactly, do you propose that d.net stats "count" the number of machines each person is using?

	-ryan-