[RC5] Adverse effects of participation?

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Feb 4 00:02:55 EST 2000

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 06:44:45PM -0800, Zorba the Hutt wrote:

> CPU time it really takes to decode a code of N size (want RC5-72? multiply
> by 256).

 Not quite.  Not only are there more keys, but each key is bigger so it
 takes longer to check.  This doesn't make very much difference, though.
 Besides, one could figure out how long it would take to break _any_ given
 encryption scheme which is brute forced the way rc5 is.  (i.e. simple
 linear keyspace exhaustion, _not_ elliptical curve stuff, I think.) Just
 write a client and test it on x86 hardware (which makes up the lions share
 of d.net's CPU power).  See how the speed compares with d.net on the same
 hardware, and then do the math.

 Suffice it to say that linearly exhausting the keyspace of any encryption
algorithm is boring and useless, unless you really want to see what the
message says, or there is a prize.  It's not like we're getting rich from
the prizes on the contests, except for the short-term ones which are
probably worth it.  rc5-64 is a waste of our time when we could be working
on something more interesting.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/