[RC5] Cartographie

Philip Espi philip.espi at mfe.org
Tue Feb 8 11:36:49 EST 2000

Bernd Bernie Meyer wrote :

> Simple --- 10000GB would need to be handed out over the course of 2 years.
> That's an average data rate of about 150kByte/s, 24 hours a day, 365 days
> a year. And the results (probably of similar size) would have to be
> transferred back. Who is going to make that sort of bandwidth available?
>
> If you assume 45,000 participants (what we currently get for RC5), on average
> every single one of them would have to download about 300kB *each day*,
> every day, for 2 years.

That's far less than the bandwith used by the seti at home project (500,586
work-units downloaded in 24 hours this monday, that's 175 Gbytes of data
each day, which amounts to 127 terabytes of data in a 2 years time, and
it worked fine for 8 months now.

> Will people be willing to do that?

Of course yhey will, and already have done it.

Phil, crunshing one MByte of data each and every day.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net