[RC5] New projects

Doug Tabacco tabacco at california.com
Thu Feb 10 18:41:01 EST 2000

There're a few problems with this, though.  Mainly, if you make over
$600 and live in the U.S., d.net would be required by law to file form
1099 with the IRS and you, declaring your earnings, which adds a whole
layer of trouble d.net really doesn't want.  Not to mention having to
find time to mail checks to people.  Remember that d.net isn't a huge
corporation.  It's a volunteer effort, run by people who have actual
jobs during the day, and social lives at (most) other times.

Filipe Joel Almeida wrote:

> > A cent for a block would pay my electrical bill.
>
> And would bring more people to the project... It's like those 'Get paid to
> surf the net with our viewbar' things... The ammount of monney paid isn't so
> big, but it's enough to make people think 'Well, it won't hurt me, and I'll
> get something for it'... of course this kind of thing can only be used if we
> go into comercial projects, what by itself is great too, because we would be
> definitely proving the usefulness of our 'Greatest computer on Earth' and
> getting something with it.
>
> I'm most definitely sure that there would be a lot of comercial projects
> that would pay to use our combined CPU Power!!

______________________________ __ ._`.*.'_._ ____ _______
     Doug Tabacco       .   . +  * .o   o.* `.`. +.    .
tabacco at california.com '   *  . ' ' |\^/|  `. * .  * `.
    ICQ: 12409592       Have a nice  \V/  day and try . +
    AIM: DTabacco         not to     /_\    explode   .`.
Dhblah sidled closer. This was not hard. Dhblah sidled everywhere.
*Crabs*
thought he walked sideways.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net