[RC5] 1 cent for 1 block

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Feb 15 21:55:27 EST 2000

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 05:51:23PM +0100, Michael Nahrath wrote:
> Hr. Skak <windowssucks at get2net.dk> schrieb am 14.02.2000 13:06 Uhr:
>
> > I read two years ago that Titanic was rendered in about 50 pc's in a
> > couple of months.
> > We could do that in a day or two.
>
> That is not true.
> ... many facts about why linear keyspace stuff is easy to parcel up ...
>
> In 3D everything has to fit together. _That_ is the reason why a distributed
> network like ours cannot take such jobs like rendering moovies or doing
> cartography.

 If each frame in a 3D scene is rendered by a different computer, you only
need to download the scene file and the motion info once for each client.
(hehe, I'm guessing it could work like this.  I'm no 3D animator :).  Then
the servers parcel out who renders what frame of each scene.  I don't know
if information from one frame helps you calculate the next one, but I
imagine we could do without that info.  There would still be a lot of
bandwidth drain for sending back lossless compressed (e.g. PNG) rendered
frames, and for distributing the data to render from.  This probably makes
this idea impractical.

 Since the radar thing probably gets more than one reading on more than one
separate pass from each piece of ground, you're probably right about the
difficulty of cartography.

> Sorry for disturbing your dreams.

Don't worry, I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net