[RC5] Paying for blocks

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Wed Feb 16 06:27:57 EST 2000

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Bruno Rodrigues wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Greg Andrews wrote:
>
> > There has been some talk of d.net reimbursing us for CPU time. It got me
> > thinking, how much would it cost?  One user said 1 cent per block.  This
> > got me thinking, so I pulled out my TI-81 emulator.
>
> What about if they divide for example $2000 for the number of blocks done,
> and split that money to every email (geee it would be difficult to write
> that many checks!).

	Okay, assuming that the pay's going to be proportional to the number
of blocks done, that means our theoretical company would owe me... lessee...
$2000 divided by total number of blocks, times blocks I've done, is...

	$0.0085.

	Hmm. Eighty-five hundredths of a cent wouldn't pay for the postage
to get the check to me. It probably wouldn't pay for the paper the check was
printed on.

	And I'm in the top 5% of RC5-64 contributors (I'm not fast, but I've
been plugging away at it since day one). The people down in the
bottom 5%'d get lost in the underflow...

	The basic problem here is that d.net is so big, with so many
contributors, doing so much work, that by the time you pay each of them
enough to make it worth the time and trouble just to go down to the bank and
cash the check, you're talking major expen$e for the sponsoring company...

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  Why be difficult when, with a bit of effort, you could be impossible?

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net