[RC5] ogr - technical details

Dan Oetting oetting at gldmutt.cr.usgs.gov
Sat Feb 19 22:45:28 EST 2000

At 17:04 -0700 2/18/2000, Basil A. Daoust wrote:
>   Would more than 24 work units actually compose the shortest ruler?
>Would it actually be 6 or 8 since each stub is multiple distances?
>I tried to look back through the multiple OGR web pages but I couldn't
>find the page that talk's about the search algorithm to find ORG's and
>how many nodes would actually have to be searched.

Each stub represents the FIRST few marks on the set of rulers to test. The
OGR client then tries all possible lengths for the remaining marks that
might form a shorter ruler. It only takes 1 work unit to find a shorter
ruler but it is possible for several work units to contain different
shorter rulers. We need to complete every workunit to prove that the
"shortest" golumb ruler has been found.

-- Dan Oetting <oetting at ghtmail.cr.usgs.gov>

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net