[RC5] OGR percent done

Jeff Lawson jlawson at bovine.net
Sun Feb 20 21:48:25 EST 2000

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Ben wrote:

> "Jim C. Nasby" wrote:
> > I know it's not a good replacement for stats, but we're 13.8% done with
> > OGR-24. :)
>
> Wow! That is going pretty quick. How will the length of each competition
> increase when the length increase? Will it be exponential, like the
> ecryption contests, or less?
>
> Did you divide the OGR space in some logical way, or why did you make
> those bloacks so much longer than the CSC or RC5 blocks?

That percentage is based off of the linear total number of stubs.  Since
each stub needs a varying number of nodes checked, it will naturally vary
with the rate of stub completion.  However over a large number of
simultaneously computed stubs, the rate should be relatively proportional
to the actual computational power in participation.

--
Jeff Lawson   http://www.bovine.net/   http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~jlawson/
Jeffrey_Lawson at alumni.hmc.edu  jlawson at bovine.net  bovine at distributed.net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net