[RC5] OGR percent done

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Feb 22 01:57:04 EST 2000

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 09:48:25PM -0800, Jeff Lawson wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Ben wrote:
>
> > "Jim C. Nasby" wrote:
> > > I know it's not a good replacement for stats, but we're 13.8% done with
> > > OGR-24. :)
> >
> > Wow! That is going pretty quick. How will the length of each competition
> > increase when the length increase? Will it be exponential, like the
> > ecryption contests, or less?
> >
> > Did you divide the OGR space in some logical way, or why did you make
> > those bloacks so much longer than the CSC or RC5 blocks?
> >

> That percentage is based off of the linear total number of stubs.  Since
> each stub needs a varying number of nodes checked, it will naturally vary
> with the rate of stub completion.  However over a large number of
> simultaneously computed stubs, the rate should be relatively proportional
> to the actual computational power in participation.

 I think the question was asking "what will OGR-25 be like, given that OGR-24
takes time T_24?"

 On a related topic, won't it be the case that the work-unit rate for OGR-24
will slow down, since the easy work units will get done sooner, so after a
while, more and more computers will be sitting on big work units.  Since we
are measuring completion % by work units and not nodes (right?), won't the
rate we're calculating for ourselves slow down as the node/stub ratio
increases?  Or are the "hard" work-units rare enough that this isn't an issue?
I imagine that the node/stub ratio could start to climb, since clients that
finish an easy work unit return it and start another one, so the easy work
units are the only ones going back to the servers so far.

 (I don't think that last paragraph makes as much sense as I wish it did.
Hopefully you can figure out what I'm getting at :)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net