[RC5] How big ?

Basil A. Daoust basildaoust at home.com
Tue Feb 22 20:59:28 EST 2000

Question, how do you figure out how many nodes might be needed to test in the
worst case?

Well we want a 24 mark ruler.
   Which is actually made up of 23 marks plus 0.

Does the following make sense?
   Pick a number at random less than 60 that hasn't been used yet.
   Pick a second - through 23 of these numbers.

now lets see if we new the 19 perfect numbers to add to the ruler but
not the order would it not work out to 19!.  But yet we don't even know
what numbers to pick :-(
   19! = 121,645,100,408,832,000
I have to assume the algorithm used must be much smarter.
Because now I'd have to multiple that by say 60 as we try
different numbers.

Can anyone help me out?

Basil.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net