[RC5] Adverse effects of participation?

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Jan 31 23:28:43 EST 2000

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 11:53:47PM +0000, Jason Hartzell wrote:
> The most adverse effect I had was my electricity bill. One
> for the power to run all the machines, 10 in on room. Two
> on my cooling bills, nothing like 10 machines in 120 degree
> room, 'cause my air conditioning really could not keep up.
> Oh well.

 I live in Halifax, and most of the year the heat of my PC is welcome :)
The summers don't get too hot either.  (You too can live in d.net land...
move to Atlantic Canada... :)

> Servers are fine 24/7. Most PC's will do good 24/7. Laptops
> will usually crap out after a few weeks of 24/7. Go
> figure... Really, how much better are your stats going to
> be by having one or two laptops crackin' 24/7.

 How many laptops on average are there with mains power available right now?
If they were all running dnetc, it would add up to something.  If you're
right that it will actually damage a laptop, then don't run rc5.  If anyone
has a new laptop (still under warranty), then see what happens.

> Even if they
> were brand new 400Mhz or faster laptops it wouldn't be
> worth the cost of power to run them just for RC5. Trust me
> on this, RC5 is NOT THAT important.

 Yes, which is why we need to be doing something useful.  Dcypher.net has a
really neat thing going with their gamma flux project.  (I'm a physics
student, so I probably find it more interesting than most people.  However,
the results of their calculations will be used by researchers.  That is
worth working on.  I'm thinking of looking it.  Anyone know how well
automated their client is?  I don't want to have to baby-sit it, since we
have a Windoze lab at school as well as Unix, and I don't want to have to
script stuff on NT.)

 IIRC, isn't a british university doing a distributed weather simulation?
Why don't we work on that?  distributed.net should approach universities (if
they haven't already) to explicitly point out that a team of hackers would
love to help you run your program on the biggest, baddest computer in the
world, for free.  That would get people thinking, and maybe net us some cool
projects to work on.  I think people would work on d.net projects that were
open-ended (i.e. you never get to a point where you can say, "ok that's
that, this problem is done.".) as long as we had our cool stats :)

 Personally, I've gotten over my stats addiction, I just want computers to be
doing something useful.  we've learned most of what rc5-64 has to teach us.
Barring any more advances in client software, we know how computationally
intensive it is to brute force.  I'm sure there are people who still want to
work on it, but I for one would be the first to volunteer to help out with
my CPU, and maybe even some coding time or something, on a project which
works on real problems, and processes or generates real data.  OGR is a
start, but something less abstract would be even more to my liking.  The
dcypher.net gamma flux project is exactly what I'm thinking of.  Maybe we
can join them and let them take advantage of our d.net clients framework
(i.e. the buffer management, pausefile code, install-as-a-windoze-service
code, etc.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/