[RC5] What happens when the key is found?

Robert A. Rosenberg bob.rosenberg at digitscorp.com
Wed Jan 5 14:55:38 EST 2000

At 10:52 PM 01/03/2000 +0100, Jakob Paikin wrote:
>As a fairly new participant (I haven't seen a project completed yet) I'm
>curious about what exactly happens when the key is found (for instance in
>the CSC project):
>
>* Is the candidate key verified automatically or does someone from d.net
>need to intervene?
>
>* Would a candidate key be identified at once or only when stats etc. are
>updated?
>
>* Will the official proxyservers inform the clients that the project is
>finished when blocks are flushed or only when new blocked are fetched?

And my question - When/If blocks are going to get reissued for CSC will
that process be at random or will the order be such that the reissued
blocks will be issued in the same order as they originally were? It seems
to me to be unjust that a person who was issued an original block [which
happens to contain the looked for block] just before the start of the
recycling can get beaten by someone who gets that block (as a recycle) just
after the start of recycling. IOW: If on average it takes a block 1.5 days
to get returned (The blocks issued on day X are not expected to have been
all returned before day X+4) than there should be a 1.5 day wait for day X
blocks to get reissued (unless you run out of 3 day old blocks before then).