[RC5] [ADMIN] CSC Statistics

Georg Fritsch a8804373 at unet.univie.ac.at
Sun Jan 9 11:10:56 EST 2000

Hi,

> > PS: Is the CSC key truly random? If not, there is the possibilty that
> > CSC has analyzed the way proxies hand out keys (=search the keyspace)
> > and selected by purpose a key that will not be found very fast...

> First of all, CS had no way of knowing in what order we will test the keyspace because, to sum it up, nobody told them.  The key was chosen long before we started work on the project.

But they could have made a guess. :-; (look at past projects, figure out
easy ways how somebody would manage a keyspace, )
As - i was told - DNet hands out random blocks this is of no real issue.

> Besides, CS's goal with CSC is to prove how INadequate 56-bit CSC encryption is, so it would be to their advantage if we found it quickly.

To protect data a long time 56-Bit encryption is not sufficient. This
point has already been proven. Which algorithm is actually be used
doesn't make a difference. (DES, CSC, )
For e.g. online transactions 56 Bits are (for now) secure enough. You
have to be able to crack it in few seconds.

Ciao,
Georg

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net