[RC5] Help! I'm flooded with clients!

Zorba the Hutt zorbathut at uswest.net
Fri Jan 14 17:45:19 EST 2000

This has been suggested in the past, and the replies have generally been
that it's too much of a security risk. Personally, while I probably wouldn't
use this on most computers, it would be very handy, and I'd be interested in
giving it a try. There are probably things that can be done with PGP
(ironic, using an encryption scheme to verify a code-crunching utility) to
ensure that all files are properly signed by dnet . . . presumably the worst
that could happen would be someone installing an old version of the client
on your machine (EGADS! NO!) or possibly someone installing a broken version
of the client on your machine somehow. Both of these are improbable IMHO,
you'd have to pull off some nice IP spoofing to manage it.

There is a potential problem of installing a client whose autoupdate feature
has a bug in it, but that's a good argument for making the autoupdate
utility seperate :) Set it up so that dnetc can run dnetupdate once every X
hours (24? 72? whatever) at which point dnetupdate connects to the server
and checks for a new version, then downloads it and installs it, using the
already-existing .ini file and directory locations. Obviously this feature
would be off by default. If you don't want to use it . . . nobody's forcing
you.

Thoughts? I'd be willing to help program this one, if personpower is the
issue . . .

-Zorba