[RC5] Sharing buffers with several platform clients

Wilson, Bruce bwilson at fers.com
Thu Jan 20 23:41:27 EST 2000

Yes, different platforms process a block in different orders.  To be
absolutely safe, if a platform detects the block was started on an
incompatible other platform, it starts over.  Depending on how often
you switch between OS's, you might be better off with non-shared
buffers.  (In fact, I think the docs recommend against sharing buffers
with multi-platform clients).

If you have other computers, you might consider using a perproxy on
another machine.  Then both client programs on the dual-boot machine
could be configured to 10:10 with their own private buffers, and you'd
still be protected in the event of a proxy/keymaster outage.

The block format *is* independent across platforms, that's why Linux
can successfully determine the block was started on Win2K.

I'm not familiar with the block-size part of the code, but I would
expect that the core will process any block retrieved, even if the
client asks for smaller blocks.  If you think about it, that's exactly
the situation the client would find itself in if you changed the limit
for RC5 from 2^33 down to 2^31.  It would have to process them even
though it wouldn't ask for them in the future.

__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com
PGP KeyID: 5430B995, http://www.geocities.com/bruce-wilson/

"In your CONFIG.SYS, you forgot to specify BUGS=OFF."