[RC5] Statsbox or Add-on suggestion-request...

Ben benb at netins.net
Fri Jan 21 22:25:13 EST 2000

"Jim C. Nasby" wrote:
> > Hours spent processing would help draw the SETI at home users, since they
> > think that the amount of hours is more important than the amount of
> > results. This would probably require modification to the block
> > submission protocol, though.
>
> We have talked about doing this, and there's two issues. First, it would
> require a change to the protocol, although we're already working on this
> for other stuff anyway. Second, on many platforms it's not very easy to
> determine how much CPU time was given to a process.

So make up something convincing. If you know what OS they are running,
what processor, what speed, you can estimate total block time. I know
that sounds imprecise and a lot of work, but there are a lot of S at h
users who think hours is more important than work units.

I spent some time in the sci.astro.seti and _a lot_ of people thought
that S at h stats should be by hours, not work units. When I argued that
work units were were more important than hours, they generally didn't care.

--
Ben (latebird at usa.net) (http://www.netins.net/showcase/benssite/index/)
( GCS d- s+:+ a--- C+++>$ UL++  P++ L++ E? W+++  N+++ o? K- w--- !O M++

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net