[RC5] defrag

Brent Stone bstone at kudonet.com
Mon Jan 24 11:41:59 EST 2000

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000 13:58:20 PST, "MICO Olivier" <odj_mico at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi !
>
>since the 800x client version under Win32 there is something very annoying :
>the client stops when it detects windows defrag running, i've got a 23 Go
>hard drive that takes about 1hour to defrag. With my cpu it is something
>like 32 rc5 blocks that are not calculated, and i must keep my hard drive
>defragmented because i'm working with video files and cd burning...
>Would it be possible to include in the next client version the possibility
>to let the client running when defrag is running, if prefer defrag re-start
>every 4 minutes instead of loosing block calculation...
>thanx

I couldn't agree more.  Since the new clients, I'm losing lots of key checking
time to defragging large video editing drives.  I put the distributed net
files on a very small disk partition that defrags in about 10 seconds
while it can take a couple of hours to defrag the video drives.  This used
to work just fine, but now the client stops running for the whole defrag time.
An option to turn off the automatic pause for defrag would be handy.

  - Brent

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net