[RC5] SETI@HOME Interview on BBC

Dan Oetting oetting at gldmutt.cr.usgs.gov
Mon Jan 24 21:05:47 EST 2000

At 22:31 -0700 1/22/2000, EnoJon wrote:
>What annoys me about SETI on a fast machine is
>lack of buffering data into the 32mb+ ram required,
>so it grinds the hard drive.  I run DNETC to slow
>it down, and throw in PRIMES at night because
>the drive is so noisy.

I run all the distributed programs off a ram disk and let the hard disk
spin down when it's not otherwise in use. A 1.5MB ram disk is large enough
to hold the data files for Seti at home plus the entire directories for the
DNETC and ECDL clients. Not only does my machine run quieter it also runs
cooler.

-- Dan Oetting <oetting at ghtmail.cr.usgs.gov>

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net