[RC5] Adverse effects of participation?

Darren Tay gluino at bigfoot.com
Tue Jan 25 19:19:50 EST 2000

Hi all,
Please bear with me, but I feel the need to be reassured that I have
"nothing to lose" in participating... Some authoritative answers to this
would help.

THE Question:
Will running dnet 24/7 have any adverse effects on computer hardware?

Last month my old Pentium150 laptop died suddenly. (HDD could not be
detected) It had been running dnet and doing almost nothing else for the
last year of its life.
A friend told me that's what I get for running dnet 24/7. plausible?

I think it is an accepted fact that a hdd could be run to death if it were
at full spin 24/7, no?
(Afterall, hdds are spec-ed with MTFBs)
What other components can be worn to death from running dnet?
I've always believed the CPU to be immortal since it has no moving parts.
True? Provided cooling is stable, which brings us to the cooling fans...
these tend to clog with dust.. Anything else?

What can I do to make sure the hdd spins down to powersaving (and
low-wearing mode), when the computer is left alone to crunch rc5?
Could we have user-definable disk-access frequency in the client?

I've been having difficulty getting some household members to approve of me
letting 3 old laptops run dnet 24/7 in my bedroom.. They think it can only
be bad for the computers.
I'm hoping to hear nice reassuring stuff from you guys!

Thanks and best regards
dt
gluino at bigfoot.com

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net