[RC5] Suggestion for client icon

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jan 26 03:45:27 EST 2000

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 05:43:47PM -0800, Zorba the Hutt wrote:

> In case people are curious . . . there's a little util called Wintop that,
> well, duplicates "top" for Windows basically (although with a slightly
> prettier GUI and somewhat less easily-accessible information). With nothing
> else running, Windows and standard programs (i.e. ICQ, Netlaunch, and Wintop
> itself) take 1% to 1.5% of the runtime, and dnetc takes virtually all the
> rest (occasionally the idle CPU time goes up to 0.05%). With POV-Ray running
> at "lower" priority, dnetc goes down to about 3.5% runtime - at "normal"
> priority, dnetc hits 2.5% or 3.0%. Some of this may be inefficiency in
> POV-Ray though, because with dnetc off I've got about 2% idle time.
> Unfortunately, I don't have anything else handy that uses consistent amounts
> of runtime, but I hope someone finds this interesting :)

 I know about wintop, but it doesn't record total elapsed or CPU time for
processes.  I was using
time dnetc -benchmark | grep -i complete

for a normal-priority cpu-bound process.  You should be able to do the same
on windoze.  IIRC, Windoze doesn't let you run multiple invocations of the
same program.  You can get around this by making a copy of the dnetc.exe
binary, or by running an old version.  One thing I've noticed with windoze
dnetc is that you actually get noticeably better benchmark results if you
put another window in front of the window where it outputs it %done numbers.
This stops redraws from happening, and we've all seen how slow Micros~1's
text widgets are (esp. for telnet.exe !).  Anyway, try watching wintop while
you run dnetc in the bg, and while another dnetc runs a benchmark.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net