[RC5] Adverse effects of participation?

Scott Dodson sdodson at gateway.net
Wed Jan 26 21:28:45 EST 2000

> Last month my old Pentium150 laptop died suddenly. (HDD could not be
> detected) It had been running dnet and doing almost nothing else for the
> last year of its life.
> A friend told me that's what I get for running dnet 24/7. plausible?

Running a laptop 24/7 is just not a good idea, they're not designed to be
run continously.  Most don't have adequate cooling, and they're much more
fragile than standard computers.

> I think it is an accepted fact that a hdd could be run to death if it were
> at full spin 24/7, no?
> (Afterall, hdds are spec-ed with MTFBs)
> What other components can be worn to death from running dnet?
> I've always believed the CPU to be immortal since it has no moving parts.
> True? Provided cooling is stable, which brings us to the cooling fans...
> these tend to clog with dust.. Anything else?

Capacitors and stuff go bad, i think.

> What can I do to make sure the hdd spins down to powersaving (and
> low-wearing mode), when the computer is left alone to crunch rc5?
> Could we have user-definable disk-access frequency in the client?

You can run the client using the nodisk switch "dnetc -nodisk" however if
for some reason the computer shuts down while it's running, all blocks
completed since you started that session would be lost.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net