[RC5] Adverse effects of participation?

Philip Espi philip.espi at mfe.org
Wed Jan 26 13:05:31 EST 2000

Darren Tay wrote:

> Hi all,
> Please bear with me, but I feel the need to be reassured that I have
> "nothing to lose" in participating... Some authoritative answers to this
> would help.
>
> THE Question:
> Will running dnet 24/7 have any adverse effects on computer hardware?

Well crafted computers are made to run 24/7.

In fact, spinning down and restarting HDD is what's wearing them down a
lot more than continuous full spin.

> Last month my old Pentium150 laptop

I don't know if the above applies to laptop computers

> I've always believed the CPU to be immortal since it has no moving parts.
> True?

CPU can die because of overheating, which don't normally occur, unless
you overclock it or never remove the dust from the fans, or because of a
power surge. Apart from that, you can crunch RC5 "ad vitam" without any
ill effects (except for your electricity bill if you're running a 700
Mhz Athlon)

That's my 0.02 euros, but I'm no engineer and could be wrong.

Phil

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net