[RC5] defrag

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Jan 28 17:15:10 EST 2000

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 10:59:13AM -0800, Stou Sandalski wrote:

> There's an option "buffer in ram only" under "Buffer settings (2)" of the
> client v2.8005 client maybe that would make defrag cut down on restarts,
> however depending on how much ram you have windows is most likely going to
> swap it to the disk causing defrag to restart  Unless they are doing some
> magic with the memory management, chances are dfrg. will get restarted,
> unless you could read a few blocks from a network at a time and load those
> into memory (?) that would leave the disk untouched maybe... you never know
> what windows does and why  I read something in MSJ about some new memory
> management API for win2k and I think that API lets you alocate pages that
> are not to be swaped... but I am not sure

 They might have a new API for it, but it's not new.  mlock() from POSIX.1b
does this, so presumably WinNT's POSIX subsystem supports it.  (it might
not, since it is not part of the core POSIX requirement, only the real-time
extensions.)  You can check the Linux man page for it at:

http://www2.linuxjournal.com/cgi-bin/linux/man.cgi?mode=search&comm=mlock

 Since defrag doesn't touch the swap file (so you say?  I occasionally have
to use windoze, but fortunately I don't admin it :) it probably doesn't
matter is something swaps, does it?  Even a full buffer file is about 4kB or
so, and that's only one memory page.  (I think:)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net