[RC5] Adverse effects of participation?

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Jan 28 17:01:54 EST 2000

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 01:05:31PM +0100, Philip Espi wrote:
> Darren Tay wrote:
> > Will running dnet 24/7 have any adverse effects on computer hardware?
> >

> Well crafted computers are made to run 24/7.

 Yup, unless you overclock.  As someone else mentioned, the extra current
knocks dopants from N type silicon into the P type silicon at the junction,
leading to failure of a transistor.   I seem to recall reading that this can
happen in a couple years of use if you seriously overclock and keep the CPU
busy, or in ten year or more if you don't overclock.  (If you overclock, but
only occasionally use it at full power, it'll live longer.  Linux, and
probably some other OSes, use the halt instruction in their idle loop to put
the cpu into low power, wait-for-an-interrupt mode.)

> In fact, spinning down and restarting HDD is what's wearing them down a
> lot more than continuous full spin.
>
> > Last month my old Pentium150 laptop
>
> I don't know if the above applies to laptop computers

 If your laptop doesn't get too hot, you should be fine.  One thing you
should be careful of is that if you have your laptop set to spin down your
disk, and the timeout is less than it sometimes takes to do a work unit, the
drive could spin down, only to be spun up again soon afterward by dnetc.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y
DUPS Secretary ; http://is2.dal.ca/~dups/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net