[RC5] Adverse effects of participation? - Yeah right...

Mike Oberle moberle at afnetinc.com
Wed Jan 26 07:09:49 EST 2000

Darren,

Once upon a time when PCB technology (materials) were in their infancy there
were problems associated with socketed components becoming loose due to
thermal expansion/contraction. Frankly, I haven't seen that happen in the
last 10-12 years.

There was also a time when HDs didn't have auto-park heads. Spinning a drive
up and down caused more platter degradation than leaving the drive spinning.
I haven't seen that sort of failure in the last 8-10 years. It wouldn't hurt
to spin the drive down.

Running any client 24x7 doesn't contribute to failure any more quickly than
an idling machine. Idling means only that the CPU is passing mostly zeros
through its registers. The CPU is still pushing instructions, most of them
simply do nothing.

Semiconductors are not like a car engine. Although some components can
suffer dendritic growth between circuit traces in a poorly manufactured
device, silicon typically does not "wear" in any sense we can detect.

I think the odds that dnetc.exe killed your laptop is slim to none, and Slim
went home.

moberle at gtemail.net