[RC5] Adverse effects of participation?

Justin Hernandez justin.hernandez at tdsi.com
Mon Jan 31 10:56:19 EST 2000

i wanted to mention that i overclock myself, and one of the factors i did
consider was the possibility of shortening the life of my cpu.

but let's face it folks, what is a cpu's lifespan? 10 years? 25 years?
yeah, right, my cpu is already almost functionally dead, it is already
obsolete after about 10 months and i'm considering an upgrade.
but for now, my little overclocked 300a to 464 is still chugging along,
still plays a mean game of quake, descent 3 and unreal, and still processes
1.2 megakeys a sec on rc5.

but i'm guessing that in a few months, even though the physical life of the
cpu isn't over, it may still be replaced.

bottom line is, if you run your cpu continually, or overclock, you may be
shortening the lifespan, but you can't shorten it enough so that it actually
breaks before it's obsolete.

dont you just love technology?

justin