[RC5] Adverse effects of participation?

tomdv at datatx.com tomdv at datatx.com
Sun Jan 30 12:12:48 EST 2000

Hi,
I know the feeling. My wife is telling me that the baby will have a disease
if the computer stays on at night.

I have been running RC5 for more than a full year and the battery of my
laptop is wrecked, meaning, if I pull the power out it dies. So my advise,
if you run your laptops day and night, try to let them run as much as
possible to save your battery.

About other parts breaking down. I am also someone who keeps a good machine
for a long time. So then obviously, you want to be careful with it.
Dinosaurs died out eventually and people who think about keeping their
hardware as long as possible are nearly extinct as well.
Therefore, your question, however valid and sane to me, will be received
with contempting sniffs or answers along the lines of: "Get yourself a new
computer then."

I for my part, turn off the disks after 5 minutes using power control in
the windows configuration panel and they have been holding out for close to
two years.

As for the noice the computers make: tell that to the manufacturers. I have
the exact same problem so the computers are moved to another part of the
appartment where they can make the noise they make.
Regards,
Tom

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net