[RC5] What's going on here, folks?

Wilson, Bruce bwilson at fers.com
Fri Jun 2 13:40:49 EDT 2000

Distributed.net works on the projects which (a) can be distributed on
a network like ours, and (b) have been implemented by a party
interested in the project.  If you have a specific idea how all this
computing power should be used for a particular scientific study, or
to help humanity, or to provide computing power to corporations, the
invitation is open to present your case to the volunteers who are
currently active in DCTI, or even to become one of us.  If your idea
has not been implemented, it is at least partly because YOU have not
invested the time to make it happen.

Creating a new project is not a trivial task, especially for
volunteers who may not be able to contribute time regularly because
of commitments to family, employer or school.  We're not slackers,
but we do have to pay the bills.  We all wish we could do this full
time, but we don't have the luxury.  Right now, various parts of DCTI
are scrambling to get OGR going again, and to fix the statsbox
problems.  Those people are stretched pretty thin.

As far as RC5 vs. other projects, for every person who is bored by
RC5, we have about 2 who won't switch away from it for anything.  If
memory serves, the number of people who switched to CSC was less than
1/3 of the active participants.  Why?  It certainly wasn't for the
prize money - the odds of winning something with CSC were 256 times
greater.  With a response like that, we can't afford to ignore RC5.

__
Bruce Wilson, Manager, FERS
bwilson at fers.com, 312.245.1750, http://www.fers.com
PGP KeyID: 5430B995, http://www.lasthome.net/~bwilson

"There is always a way, and it usually doesn't work."