[RC5] Getting the maximum performance out of a single processor machine

Dennis Lubert plasmahh at dialup.nacamar.de
Mon Jun 5 11:18:24 EDT 2000

Hello,

a lot of people run their machines 24/7 and some of them do not use them
for other purposes. But running under Linux or WinNT (to get networking
support) can consume up to 100kkeys/s (especially under WinNT). On most
single processor machines the Dos client is the fastest, but there is still
the problem with the network, because MS-DOS does not support TCP/IP, right
? wrong ! Their is a basic TCP/IP support available (PING and SMB) from
ftp://fpt.microsoft.com/bussys/clients ( called msclient. download
dsk3-1.exe and dsk3-2.exe, dsk3-2.exe is referred to as OEM disk in the
setup). Now simply setup this thing (with compression and Ramdisks it even
fits on a single floppy), mount a share from an SMB-Server(Win98/NT or
Linux with Samba) and put the buffers to this share. Since MS-DOS TCP/IP
also supports ICMP, a single ping can be used to determine if the client is
still running (when client/dos/tcp crashed the other stuff crashes too).
This works for single processor machines only, but if someone knows how to
support SMP under DOS, please let me know. Perhaps it would be also nice to
implement (if possible) this TCP/IP int the DOS-client.

Dennis Lubert

PS: I have a network of 8 PC's running with this thing, so don't come to me
and say " Hey this does not work"

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net