[RC5] What's going on here, folks?

banjili at home.com banjili at home.com
Wed Jun 14 02:09:48 EDT 2000

Before we all brandish our petrolium propulsion devices...

At 02:18 AM 6/13/2000 -0700, untulis at netgate.net wrote?
>Zulfiqar Naushad <zna at home.com> wrote:
>
>: Here is what I think.  RC5-64 is a dandy project, I think it's
>: great.  HOWEVER and a big HOWEVER is that I want my CPU to do something
>: more "useful".
>
>So get off your ass and implement something.

That would work.  Too bad the other umpteen percent of the current
participants have little to no experience in concieving and/or coding a
distributed project.

>: For example, dcypher.net is running Gamma Flux which measures radiation
>: decay so that we may be able to store our waste radiation more efficiently.
>:
>: That is a project I like because I can say that my computer contributed to
>: the betterment of mankind.
>
>So get off your ass and implement "Gamma Flux" for dnet. Or produce the

See above.  "get off your ass and implement something" has already been
stated by you and not-you.  Until an easy way of developing a distributed
project is devised (perhaps a highly-optimized distributed scripting
language of some kind?), mass participation in coding isn't going to happen.

>mail that shows that you had people who were interested in implementing
>all the necessary parts for "Gamma Flux", but dnet didn't want to work
>with you. Or ask dnet politely (key being *politely*) for change and move
>on.

According to the above, just because Zulfiqar cites an example of a
non-dnet project he likes, he must bring it to dnet, or somehow be blamed
for that.  That is indeed strange.

>I will ignore the accompanying assertion that the current search for a key
>to decypher RC5-64 does not "contribute to the betterment of mankind". I'm

Rightly so, because he never asserted that.  His statement is that research
into the safe storage of nuclear materials is a good thing, and it is.

Additionally,

"RC5-64 is a dandy project, I think it's
great.  HOWEVER and a big HOWEVER is that I want my CPU to do something
more "useful"."

Read: _MORE_ useful, the implication being that RC5-64 has a degree of
utility but he seeks projects with a _greater_ amount of utility, not
that  'RC5-64 does not "contribute to the betterment of mankind"'

>sure a large portion of the original DESCHALL and RC5-56 decryption
>efforts, along with many cypherpunks, would disagree wholeheartedly.
>: I want distributed (the people I like) to do what I feel is worthy.
>
>Huh? You want to control what people volunteer to do, in their spare time?

Huh? You want to control what people opine about, in their spare time?
Pot.  Kettle.  Black.

An open discussion about the merits of other distributed projects is a good
thing since:
a) the voulenteers which you chastise for posting about the existance of
other projects will leave for those projects,
b) since people have taken your advice and are now coding other projects,
they will exist, ELSEWHERE
c) those dissenters who currently post to this list will insted share their
creativity with other lists, thereby ridding this list of the complaining
</SARCASM>

Seriously though, I've never thought of open discussion, especially about
potential competetion/allies to be a bad thing. If it can improve dnet in
any way, it should be at least considered.

>: Lets settle this democratically.  Why not have a vote of some sort??
>
>Lets. How about we vote on whether Zulfiqar should not complain about
>d.net's volunteer efforts until we see a modicum of similar effort?

By that standard:
a) people could not post to this list to express dissatisfication about
something without being able to reduce that agnst in some way (What do you
plan to do to reduce people's expression on this list, Jason?)
b) people could not report bugs unless they could identify a possible fix
for them before hand
c) You should be willing to partake in the co-ordination of the vote you've
suggested above, 'Or produce the mail that shows that you had people who
were interested in implementing all the necessary parts for "Zulfiqar
vote", but dnet didn't want to work with you. Or ask dnet politely (key
being *politely*)'

While I, as a participant who has examined other distributed projects, have
not coded for dnet (as you would like), I have promoted dnet to collegues
resulting in the addition of participants to the project.  What have you
done for dnet lately?

Cheers,
-B

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net