[RC5] Keyrate fits

Bruce Ford b.ford at qut.edu.au
Thu Jun 15 10:44:58 EDT 2000

>I would like to request that the exponential keyrate fit be removed.
>Our growth is obviously linear, and has been so some two years, so
>the exponential extrapolation does not represent what is really happening.
>
>Moreover, the "overshoot" forces the plot's yrange to expand, so the real
>keyrates are squeezed together more than need be.

A compromise.  I have retained the exponential plot but limited its range
to the maximum observed rate.

This will undoubtably lead to some problems with the recent history plot,
the second RC5 plot on the http://www.distributed.net/statistics page,  but
having the exponential plot available helps short circuit discussions of
how our growth should follow "Moore's Law".

Bruce Ford                                      b.ford at qut.edu.au
Online Teaching Systems Coordinator
Teaching and Learning Support Services          Ph: +61 7 3864 9773
Queensland University of Technology

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net