[RC5] Getting the maximum performance out of a single processor machine

Gerald Richter glassman1 at neonshadow.net
Fri Jun 16 15:51:37 EDT 2000

cyb97 wrote:

> on 13.06.2000 18:11:37, the guilty party (ie. Kelley Cook), stuck his/her head out with the following anouncement:
> >--- Dennis Lubert <plasmahh at dialup.nacamar.de> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> This works for single processor machines only, but if someone knows
> >> how to support SMP under DOS, please let me know. Perhaps it would
> >> be also nice to implement (if possible) this TCP/IP int the
> >> DOS-client.
> >
> >Actually Linux is a good alternative solution.  Running without X and
> >with no other damons running should be as fast as DOS w/MS-client and
> >it works with SMP too.
> >
> >And it also will fit onto a floppy.
> >
> Perhaps distributed.net should release a linux distro with everything you need
> for starting to crack on a floppy... That way it would save everybody loads of
> time every time they want to set up a machine solely for cracking....
>
> just my $.02
>
> --
> cyb97 / noXtension

I'm tempted to take that project on... it shouldn't be too hard... a
simple minix disk with a kernel and the recent dnetc (8007)... build the
kernel solid and small, give the flexability to only load the kernel
module to support the ethernet card. Perhaps a script for a full blown
linux box to build the disk and it's configuration...

BTW, what's with the lack of 8009s for other platforms? I have a couple
linux/x86 boxes waiting for them...

-Gerald

--
* glassman1 at neonshadow.net ->  Lord  Phear  <- ICQ UIN 8838302     *