[RC5] Getting the maximum performance out of a single processor machine

Ben Ketteridge ben at lonparc.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jun 18 14:21:21 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: cyb97 <cyb97 at noxtension.com>
Subject: Re: [RC5] Getting the maximum performance out of a single processor
machine

> Perhaps distributed.net should release a linux distro with everything you
need
> for starting to crack on a floppy... That way it would save everybody
loads of
> time every time they want to set up a machine solely for cracking....
Yes please! Most of the difficulties in setting up linux on a PC is down to
configuring X!

The ideal solution, IMHO, would be a single (or more if required) raw disk
image (for floppy) that will boot into linux with TCP/IP and sh (no need for
a shell with any more weight than that!) & lynx for browsing d.net for stats
and updates. It would be great if this also didn't have to talk to the HDD
at all - removes some of the driver requirements.

I'm just sorry I haven't got around to doing this myself!

$0.02

Tara,
Ben.

| Dr Ben Ketteridge: ben.ketteridge at proact.net, ObjectLab Group |
| ProAct International, PO Box 100, Denbigh. Tel: 01745 817161. |
|"Never ask a man what sort of computer he drives. If he's a Mac|
| user he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" - Tom Clancy |

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net