[RC5] Linux boot disks

Andrew Frank andrew295 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 20 20:20:24 EDT 2000

That'd be great if you did.  When you're done, at the very least, you should
get yourself a link from the FAQ-o-matic so that people will be able to find
it.

I personally am better at using *nix from a user's prospective than an
admin's perspective, so even simple things like mounting/unmounting a floppy
or CD-ROM can be a pain for me.  I don't know how small you can get it.  As
one person who would use it, this is what would be useful to me (just
suggestions, take 'em or leave 'em).

First, it would be nice if the disk were formatted with a standard 1.44MB
format, that way the buffers can be fetched/flushed by sneakernetting the
whole disk into virtually any 'net connected computer (Windows, Linux, MacOS
anyway).

Second, SMP support would be cool, but as of yet, I think most SMP boxes
have hard drives so this isn't as important.

Third, inclusion of tools like uptime, top would be nice (I don't know
what's built into the kernel and what isn't, but those would be nice if they
just magically worked somehow).

Fourth, the ability to set/change passwords, create accounts would be
cool.  As well, enough free space to use it as an internet connection
sharing router would be nice.  I realize that this is really pushing what
can be done in 1.39MB though, so I'd be surprised to see it.

Andrew