[RC5] Getting the maximum performance out of a single processor machine

Peter Cordes peter at llama.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jun 21 21:28:26 EDT 2000

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 01:21:21PM +0100, Ben Ketteridge wrote:
> [...]

 and dhcpcd (DHCP client daemon) for IP autoconfig, so you can use identical
disks in different machines!

> and sh (no need for a shell with any more weight than that!) & lynx for
>browsing d.net for stats

 There is no Free sh.  It's a symlink to bash on most Linux systems, and
bash2 + necessary libraries won't fit on a single floppy!  ash is commonly
used for install disks and such.  BTW, Solaris has sh, and it is the
crappiest, under-featured shell I've ever seen (e.g. no line editting, like
ash!).  (on Sol 2.6, it is the default shell, even though ksh, which is far
better, is available.)

> and updates. It would be great if this also didn't have to talk to the HDD
> at all - removes some of the driver requirements.

  good point.  Updates would have to be done on a more fully featured
computer, I think, and new floppies created.  There probably wouldn't be
room for (a recent version of) lynx anyway, unless you stripped out all the
colour support and stuff.  It's a pretty big binary these days:

peter at llama:~$ what lynx
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1067312 May  1 23:01 /usr/bin/lynx*
/usr/bin/lynx: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

(I'm running Debian potato on this machine.)

--
#define X(x,y) x##y

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net